Wednesday, February 9

ACLS

Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) is an American Heart Association course that was sandwiched into the middle of my medic class. The teaching of this section was farmed out, and it has been a mess. We took the written and practical (“mega code”) exam tonight to see who would earn their ACLS card. The test was based on a book we were never given. Our didactic time was spent with our local EMS protocols and drugs while the test we took included drugs and therapies, many of them for the hospital setting, that we did not cover in class. Do not ask me how I passed, as I was sure I failed it (passing was an 85 – I got a 92). I was the only one out of 18 people to pass. The test was unfair and/or the teaching was horrible.

I’m looking forward to getting our regular instructors back (even though that means we have our module exam for respiratory and cardiac coming up).