Tuesday, February 1

I'm calling with regard to my son...

Every now and then an administrator tells me a story that kills me. I heard one such story last week...

One of our students interviewed for but did not get an internship at major business (you'd recognize the name).

The kid's mother calls the company and explains to them that they should really give her son an internship because [insert all the things all of our mothers think about us here]. His mother calls the director of resources! Can you imagine getting that phone call? Can you imagine not laughing on the phone as the mother is saying you should hire her smart, independent, son?

There are too many kids who are 20 years old and have never had something disappointing happen where mom and dad did not come to the rescue. CRAP happens. Usually, but not always, for a reason. If you don't let your kids figure this out when they are 7 (or 10, 15 or 17), they are going to have a TOUGH time when 25 comes around.