Saturday, September 4

090404

Two calls this weekend so far.

Sat at 0130 – “Report from campus safety of an intoxicated 18 year old female who has taken other drugs”.

Points of interest to me:
• As I walk into the student apartment containing our patient a male smiles at me and says very sheepishly “Hi Dr. J”. No, this will not go on your permanent record.
• 18 y/o intoxicated female in an apartment with 6 upperclassmen? Maybe I am over-reacting, but I would NOT want my 18 y/o in a similar situation.
• When the doc tells you not to mix ethanol with your anti-depressant, anti-anxiety and anti-seizure drugs, the doc ain’t kidding. Sheesh.
• Their TV. I swear the TV in this apartment was at least 72”. I don’t know where it came from, but maybe the kid driving the Hummer around campus (a REAL Hummer, not the pretend one) can help them haul it home.

Sat at 1200, just as I am sitting down to lunch with my wife – “Injuries from a fall from a horse at [location]”. “Location” is NOT anywhere in civilization and is not on the map. Turns out it is a “truck trail” on state land in the middle of a state forest with miles of horse trails. I am again reminded that there are people with WAY higher pain tolerances than I. This guy was reporting pain as a “4” and I am fairly certain he has broken ribs. He screamed each time we went over a bump. It took us almost 30 minutes to get to the hospital and our rig was covered in mud and horse [stuff]. I tracked so much crap into the ED that within two minutes of my entering the place I heard a request for house keeping over the PA. Sorry folks, I wiped my feet.