Wednesday, June 30

Rookie Mistake # XXX

Another rookie mistake added to my portfolio. Our town has a wonderful 4th of July parade that looks like something straight out of Norman Rockwell. Of course our two ambulances are part of the parade. When I saw the slots open for driver for the parade I waited to put my name up. I figured the Chief or Assistant Chief, or someone else who has been around for a while, should get to drive. What could be more fun? Waving to the kids, throwing candy, hitting the siren on occasion. So I held off and waited for someone who deserved the slot to take it.

After a week, I was shocked that there were few people on the board for the 4th, and still no driver for the parade. Thinking people must be planning to be out of town I grabbed a driver slot. I was excited that I snagged such an easy and fun opportunity.

So, what’s the problem? Well, I will admit I did not think things all the way through. First, if you are going to have a piece of machinery in a parade, do you want it clean and polished or dirty? The answer is obvious. Now, WHO, do you think, is responsible for making sure the rig look presentable in the parade? Yes, you are proving smarter than I... The driver! So, I now know that if people don’t sign up for something fun there must be a reason and that it is worth asking before thinking you’ve pulled off a coup. At 0800 on Saturday I’ll (along with some fellow newbies) be polishing the rig and getting ready for an 1100 parade.

It better be fun.